Saturday, January 14, 2017

WHY I MARCH...

Paypal alerted me that I purchased 3 bus tickets, the payment was accepted and that I was officially traveling to Washington DC to participate in the Women's March on Washington.  The anticipation, the thrill and the sense of purpose filled my body and soul.  I would make a difference.  I would no longer be silent.

Standing up and out!

Some want me to make this a protest against the incoming administration and to show contempt for their cabinet selections.  While I do not agree with much that has happened and am often reaching for the non-existent WTF button on Facebook, I do believe in our Democracy and in the Republic for which I stand.

Naive?  Never take this belief as validation of any wrongs done past, present or future.  Never! 

I march because, inherent in that belief, is the importance of free expression of THE PEOPLE!

I march because I am a single white woman who stayed silent for too long.  I stayed silent because my career said that I had to fit a certain mold or it would be a narrow one.  I stayed silent because I harbored fear that if I exposed myself, I would be labeled, ostracized and yes, even hurt.

And, I also stayed silent because I liked you.  I liked you who surprised me with your votes.  I liked you even when you posted fake news and unresearched or validated statements.  I even liked you who knew that blatant lies were passed as truths even when we could replay the lies over and over again on tape and in writing.  I was confused and concerned but liking you tempered my comments and quieted my speech.

I march because I cannot be silent any longer.

Sometimes service is not gentle!
Most, if not every, major faith tradition and spirituality has a teacher or a deity that preaches compassion and charity towards the poor, the sick and the suffering.  Charity is not always about giving money and being done with it.  Charity is also about giving your time to help those who want to better themselves and to support those that are suffering.  It is also about how we speak and act in this world.  Hate and hateful language has no place at all.

I march because I need our government to remember THE PEOPLE count.  I need me as a person to count.  I march because I need for the people to remember that the people count.

I march for dignity, respect and honor for all people.  And, our legislators need to know that we will no longer be silent.  We will no longer be silent and our voices will continue to rise until you acknowledge that we have been heard.

No comments:

Post a Comment